May be some of the 2016 achievements in terms of climate change agreements and commitments, many of them needed, some other necessaries, and most of them both desired as much as urgently needed to be turned into facts for those of us living in the planet, are bringing us closer to a new understanding on energy efficiency. And may be one of the new visions that is very demanded to make the most out of the vast potential of energy efficiency is making more people believe in it, namely by creating a new understanding of how to use energy and how to relate with the environment in an inclusive and competitive society.
As explanatory principle it is nice and recommended keeping active the “energy efficiency first” statement, namely emphasizing the fact that anytime and anywhere that we are using energy (no informational system out of ecological ones makes a “purposeful” use of energy) there is indeed the potential and possibility to make it in a more efficient way. Yet this approach will bring us soon to the question of how each system is structured and organized, so that we could prospect and precisely explore the best ways of designing and stimulating the transitions needed to reach a better performance in terms of energy use.
Thus, related questions to energy savings approach need urgently to be re-explained from the key driver perspective for business as usual scenarios (in a similar way of emissions inventories), but with a strongly limited potential to deliver in energy efficiency improvements in regard to added value processes, in the sense that no methodology put in place strictly devoted for energy saving accounting or to obtain more precise emissions accounting (or preventing environmental impact) will deliver into a more efficient and explainable ways of using energy (also applicable to ISO50001, ISO14000 and the like).
From above mentioned positions it will be of interest introducing as well as emphasizing a few general statements further driving into what energy efficiency ought to deliver in its broadest sense:
- Changing the energy model demands certain level of commitment with the existing model current state as well as with the envisioned model.
- “Energy model” concept applies to any system using energy
- Whatever your scenario of analysis might be you ought to define the conceptual and operating energy model in place so that finer transitions and management of change initiatives can be accurately identified
- Energy efficiency Management implies the use of new concepts, management systems, technologies and methodologies
- In a similar sense that the supply chain concept helped restructuring bussiness operations supported on new market services and real time information tools, digitization processes must Support the strategic use of energy-use related information
- Implementing and using energy Management systems do not guarantee the strategic focus towards energy efficiency.
- Putting in place energy Management systems disconnected from the bussiness processes drives the strategic vision out of excellence energy efficiency driven